Haldane is finished and I just needed to pick up another project. I have bought a Riley RMA from 1952 with an active Dutch registration. It is a left hand drive car and because it has a date before 1960 no MOT (APK) is needed! The body is beyond rescue and I will create a special from it. An all aluminium two-seater body will be created and 19 inch wirewheels from an A-Ford will be used.
Riley RMA as purchased, engine running!
Car stripped to chassis, suspension painted with new bearings and bushes wait for assembly.
A-ford 19 inch wheels, rear axle fitted.
Chassis cleaned up and painted, suspension restored. Engine under construction.
Radiator, engine, gearbox fitted to the chassis. Starting with the body, making a wooden frame.
The tail shaped by creating the basic form with wood. First aluminium panels fabricated.
Trying to get even gaps in the bodywork. Bonnet with hinges fitted.
Middle section of the body folded and shaped.
Lowering the steering column to fit was quite some work. Two seats from an MGB will just fit between the chassis.
Louvres added. Front view of the car.
The A-ford wheels needed shotblasting and are now in the process of being painted. I managed to find a good used set of tires (19x550). They were cheap. The inner tubes I ordered new were more expensive. I also ordered a set of wheel adapters to go from 4.75" to 5.5" diameter for the wheel nuts. When this al comes together I can fit the tires to the car. After that I can see if I have to lower the suspension. Headlights were given to me and only the pods need painting black. On youtube I saw a demonstration how you can fabricate mudguards. It is quite simple on a wooden block with a dished hole in it. For the frontscreen I will use two Brooklands aeroscreens I already have somewhere.
Front wing fabricated and trial fit. Outside to have a good look at the lines of the thing.
Update: 22 april 2016 The car is almost there. Ready to start! At one point during the build I was able to make a list of all things that needed to be done and worked myself through that list. Electrics, body needed to be finished, cooling system, brake lines, patrol tank, ignition etc.
Clutch-, brake- and gas needed to be moved towards the driving position. Steering column was lengthened and lowered, gearbox lever was lengtened. All mudguards were made by my father and mounted to the car.
I made up some scrutineering passes and stickers for the interior. An exhaust and steps to get into the car more easily.
Electrics all connected and each circuit tested.
Brooklands screens fitted, body panels mounted with round headed allen bolts. The aluminium body panels for the bonnet were re-used but paint was removed. All alloy body panels were treated with scotch brite pads and waxed.
Ready to be filled with oils, petrol, battery, brake fluid and cooling liquid. I hope she will fire up!....
Riley started first time! A big oil leak because I forgot to fasten the connection of the oilpressure pipe to the engine. Oops. Quick fix though. On the first test runs the waterpump seized completely and was retored with new bearings, bushes and even an impeller which was built from scratch. We went to several oldimer meetings and the Riley attracts quite a crowd everywhere we attend..
I found pair of very old (and big) Marchal Strilux headlights for the Riley and plan to fit them soon. These should be very nice on this car.
The headlights look great!
Site hosted by in2documents BV Klundert